Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Journey Continues

This past week, we once again said good bye to my husband. I thought that the kids would be completely torn up with this loss. No they are good. They were actually giddy to say goodbye... why you might wonder? Well we have learned that yes time does fly quickly, and by dwelling on the bad it makes the time pass way slower. They are also super excited because by daddy being back in Texas that means that soon they will be there, inshaAllah.. God willing.
I was torn though because once again it leaves me in charge of all issues alone and with mother in law. I will once again have to decide what gets kept and what gets left behind for possible future adventures over this way. Based on my last adventures alone with kids and airports and luggage I have learned a few things.
1. Keep it simple.
2. Minimize minimize minimize.
3. Needs vs wants and how much laundry do you really need? Does less laundry mean more washing or less stress?

Yeah there are more lessons than this but for now my goal is not to get the most luggage and as many things as I can get away with squeezing over the international waters... but the least I can get away with. Yes I want to find gifts for everyone, but as I make a list of who to get things for I am at a loss, the list keeps growing and my out of pocket expenses are very very limited. So this is a challenge, what for whom and at what cost... money vs weight in the limited luggage. I am also trying to take only 3 suitcases.. not 6. Of this includes my laptop, our ps3, my new dresses I am having made, a few outfits to start with because as the seasons are changing and what we have accumulated is not for summer. I hope to buy a big couscous steamer pot and a pressure cooker. If I have to divide up the weight then it will be for important things. Of course, spices and teas and coffees are high on the list. And at this point that is about it.
For the last few weeks we are trying to soak in as much of the country that we can for awesome memories. I would love to sit here and write and write about my experience. People say write in the moment... but for me we have been here long enough and I feel that I am part of the scenery and not an outsider. So this being the case I have a hard time writing about the ups and downs of the culture why I am in the minute. InshaAllah, I hope to sit back with a cup of coffee and really contemplate the good and the bad and write about it as I notice difference in the US. Writing about the things I miss and would love to have again things that sparked my interest... etc etc.
SO if things work out this blog will turn more into a reflective space as we get back into the routine of life in the US.

No comments: