Monday, April 4, 2011

Spaghetti Sauce and thoughts

I accidentally made some awesome tomato paste lol.. I was boiling some soft tomatoes in saltwater and forgot about them.. when I found them they were slightly toasty and creamy.. and OMG soo good.
So for spaghetti this would taste awesome... I make my homemade one using lots of garlic, diced tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, Italian season, salt, pepper, water and either sugar or orange juice. (And a small can of tomato paste... but if you have homemade thats good to.) NOt a lot just a squeeze is good. It neutralizes the acid and gives it good flavor. To this same mix depending on how veggified I want it I have shredded zuchinni and carrot into the mix and let it all cook down. On the side I brown ground turkey, onion and spices and then mix that into the sauce. You can also make meatballs or take hunks of sausages fried and put that in... add mushrooms if you like etc etc. The options are endless.

This same recipe I have used and added chunks of eggplant and let it cook down and served on top of rice. A good spaghetti recipe is so versatile.. and yes there are as many out there as there are cooks and eaters...

My father made to this date the best sauce ever... I still remember him teaching me the steps and the tastes and the smells. Every time I make a good hearty sauce I think of him and try to feel him guiding me to the right consistency and texture. I know he got his recipe from his mom and she from hers. I have added a few things here and there, changed a few things on occasion.. depending on time and who is eating. I do not eat pork so that was a big adjustment, my dad would always have pepperoni and sausage pieces and ground meat. I like ground turkey and smoked turkey sausage. But as I am trying to squeeze more healthy things into our foods I load up the sauce with veggies.. even on occasion finely chopped broccoli pieces.

One very fond pasta memory.. we were living with my aunt and her family, cousins and all.. and the carnival had come to town. Well my aunt and uncle are and will forever be carnies at heart and they had the workers camping out in the back yard. Now keep in mind this was from the eyes of a 5 year old... so I am sure the details are way different and knowing what adults know.. let's just say I only remember the spaghetti sauce and the different excitement in the air that night.
So on the stove was a restaurant sized silver pot that had in it my dad's or my grandma's sauce... to this day I am not sure who was cooking or if they were fighting over who was chopping and who was stirring.. or my aunt details are foggy.. but it was being cooked.. remember minor details lol. But that was the best plate of spaghetti ever... giant plate with sauce all over...slippery slide goodness.. and a whole army full of people pigging out.

<<<<<<< Dad you are always remembered and never forgotten.. thanks for the great memories>>>>

No comments: